● Place chicken pieces in a large heavy pot with about 8 cups of water. Add onion, garlic, bay leaves, pepper, salt and carrot.
● Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for about 1 hour until chicken is fully cooked through.
● Remove chicken and set aside. Broth will be needed for making the mole.
● In a dry comal (no oil) on high heat add tomatoes and roast until charred (tatemados).
● In a large heavy saute pan add lard and heat. Start by frying chiles. Make sure to just do a quick fry and for the chiles not to burn. Set chiles aside.
● Continue by frying almonds, just enough so they become toasted and set aside. Repeat the process with peanuts, pumpkin seeds, raisins, cinnamon and sesame seeds.
● Discard cinnamon stick.
● Fry tortilla and bolillo pieces until crispy and golden.
● Fry plantain until golden.
● Fry onion until translucent for about 3 minutes.
● Fry garlic for about 2 minutes.
● Set all fried ingredients aside on a bowl or platter. Allow the ingredients to cool slightly.
● Reduce the heat of the saute pan and carefully add 2 cups chicken broth and chocolate disks. Cook until dissolved. Make sure to stir.
● Working in batches. Add fried ingredients and tomatoes to the blender. Add about 2 cups of chicken broth and blend.
● Add chocolate broth mix to the blender and continue to blend until fully smooth.
● Add oregano, coriander, thyme, peppercorns and cloves to mole and blend.
● In a large heavy pot or cazuela add 4 tablespoons lard. Allow the lard to melt.
● Add mole to pot.
● Add chicken broth to reach desired consistency. Mole will thicken up during cooking time.
● Add piloncillo or sugar to mole and stir. You may add more to reach desired sweetness. Add salt to taste as well.
● Stirring is a big part of cooking mole. Make sure you continue to stir so the mole does not stick to the pot.
● Continue to cook mole for about 30 minutes and until you have reached desired consistency. Remember mole is a full bodied sauce it should be on the thicker side but it should also be able to be poured over chicken.
● Serve hot over chicken pieces and garnish with toasted sesame seeds. Serve with rice or tortillas and enjoy!